Thursday, October 29, 2009

Horse Ride on Rainbow and Tiger




Hello everyone!

Yesterday we hired some horses and went for a ride into the mountains down the valley from Manang. It was a gorgeous day, and aside from one skittish horse it was a great time. I was especially happy that Martin got to ride the horse named Rainbow. I got Tiger, a real sweetie without a sketchy bone in his body.

We went out for yak steak last night and it was actually very good. It was a single cut of actual meat without any extraneous hair, skin or bone attached. This is the season for the yak harvest, so it's the best time of year to eat it (no refrigeration/freezers available). Manang area is also apparently known for its good yak meat. Not as good as the new elk harvest I hope is happening right now back at home, but at least not totally gross!

5 comments:

  1. What varietal do the locals recommend with yak steak? Malbec? A meritage perhaps? The horse riding looks like fun!
    Cheers, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would vote for a cab/shiraz blend...Yak-med rare with au jus... a must have meal. Fun!
    Finally I see some trees and underbrush for the green landscape look. Great views and the ride must have been terrific.
    The weather here is rain/cold/gloomy. Will be traveling for work for the next couple of weeks before we head south for T-day. Then hopefully some sun and fishing. I told Tom that this is a "for the freezer fishing" time. I know you will be having fun Enjoy the adventure.--Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy November! I think you have it timed perfectly. When you return to Bozeman, the skiing should be good. Do folks ski in Nepal?
    Alice & I went to the Halloween carnival at her pre-school yesterday. Some of the adults in costume were too scarey for her. Julie & I got Alice a big girl bed, with flannel sheets for the winter, so cozy.
    My knitting needles are cooling off now as I'm using my new Bernina to make Christmas presents this year. Last year's hats were a hit so I'm trying a new creation for this season.
    My calculations say you have six weeks left over there. Keep on having fun and sharing your pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Halloween... I'm cleaning up Alice's candy and blaming it on her! Luckily we only made it to about five houses before the Avon lady, dressed up in a rubber witch mask, freaked her out! "I WANT TO GO TO MY HOME NOW!" Alice yelled.
    I, too, think it's hilarious that Martin rode a pony named Rainbow! That should be in the legendary story category, Lex... just exaggerate a bit about... how the pony ran away with Martin! Oh, and how Martin had at least fifty pounds on the pony!
    I can imagine getting some mileage from that story!
    Hope all is well and we miss you,
    Julie and Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks as though Martin dwarfs poor Rainbow. Easy big fella.

    ReplyDelete